Introducing Springwell – the new home to North Brewing Co and North Bar Ltd on Buslingthorpe Lane in Leeds.
Springwell, located in a former tannery on Buslingthorpe Lane, sees North Brewing Co double their capacity, open a new 500 person taproom, and move their bar and brewery HQ under one roof.
The careful restoration of the 21,000 square foot factory sympathetically showcases its industrial heritage with a bright, modern brewery.
- North’s brewing output will increase to 16,000 hectolitres (2.8 million pints a year).
- Springwell sees a multi-million pound investment in the local area
- The expansion is creating new jobs and securing many more despite the Covid 19 pandemic
- North have successfully received a Business Growth Programme Fund from the West Yorkshire Combined Authority to support the project and generate 7 further jobs in the business.
Springwell will provide a central hub for the brewery and its family of seven bars and taprooms. Springwell will be home to the North HQ with a state of the art office designed in collaboration with Refold and Design Tonic. This space will allow the brewery and bar operations to come under the same roof and provide a training space for bar teams from across the country to learn a little more about North’s beers.
A new Brewery Tap at Springwell
A 500 person capacity taproom will pour draught North beers fresh from the brewery, with festivals, events, brewery tours, street food traders, a merchandise shop, pop up art exhibitions and space for private hire.
- Although the taproom opening has been temporarily delayed by Covid 19, North are preparing to open in a Covid secure manner as soon as the situation allows.
- Table service and app ordering will be a feature.
- The taproom will be home to the hugely successful Eat North street food festivals which will be held at the venue every weekend.
- North are already planning to host a number of beer festivals at the new site in 2021, inviting breweries, friends and collaborators from around the world to Leeds.
Whilst 2020 has undoubtedly been the most challenging year of business for North Brewing Co and North Bar Ltd it has seen a number of successes: In March North were crowned ‘Best Brewing Pub Company’ at the prestigious Publican Awards, they were awarded Honest Brew’s ‘People’s Choice’ and ‘Visual Excellence’, and took home ‘Business Innovation’ and ‘Brewery Business of the Year’ at SIBA’s annual conference. In addition to this Jo Wilkinson was named ‘One to Watch’ at the Northern Finance Director Awards, and John Gyngell and Christian Townsley were again listed in the NRB Top 50.
North’s original brewery in Sheepscar will be home to the Taverner’s Walk Small Batch Project: an experimental arm of the brewery allowing North to experiment with barrel ageing, sours and fermentation projects.
North had planned to hold an opening party at Springwell on 27th November. However, in true 2020 style they’re taking the party to Zoom. North have brewed Springwell Lager – their first flagship beer from the new brewery – and will be raising a glass to toast the new site on Friday 27/11/20 at 7pm. Springwell Lager will go on sale on 25/11/20 via their webshop and pop up bottle shops. Full details of the Zoom brewery tour and toast will be released via social media in the run up to the event.