GENERAL MANAGER: SPRINGWELL TAPROOM
44 hours per week, weekend work essential as site open Friday-Sunday
North was founded by John Gyngell and Christian Townsley, the brains behind legendary Leeds beer venue North Bar, which opened in 1997; known as “the first craft beer bar in Britain”. North Bar influenced a new wave of modern beer bars and breweries across the country, including their own, with many citing the bar as one of the driving forces and influences behind the craft beer revolution in the UK. The North family has now extended, to multiple sites across Leeds and one in Harrogate as well as two taprooms- one being attached to our flagship brewery Springwell.
Springwell has a huge outdoor seating area, a mezzanine for private hire, DJs spinning vinyl, and two pop up street food kitchens serving up smashed burger patties and steamed bao buns. Wine, cocktails and plenty of Alcohol Free and Gluten Free options make Springwell a great option for groups of friends, alongside beer aficionados tasting the latest release from North Brewing Co.
Springwell is a popular space for private bookings and hosts events regularly throughout the year- be it print fairs, vintage clothing sales, jazz brunch, brewery tours and of course our biannual beer festival Springwell Sessions – its massively event led, and the General Manager will be responsible for driving these events, footfall at this site is led by the events. Therefore, strong event management experience is essential for the General Manager. We want to create that festival feel on a weekly basis!
The taproom is open Friday – Sunday so a commitment to weekend work is a must for this role. Your weekly working pattern will be split across planning days at our HQ working on stock control, liaising with DJs and event partners, working with the Marketing and Operations teams, alongside running shifts during our operating hours.
Your role will also involve ad-hoc hospitality for guests of the brewery who are visiting Springwell during the week – this can range from trade customers, to other breweries, to corporate partners.
As General Manager you’ll be responsible for leading and motivating your team, ensuring that Springwell is a popular and inviting location.
- Recruiting, training and managing staff to ensure a happy and successful workplace
- Leading regular team meetings and attending management meetings at HQ.
- Driving event bookings for the site through networking and social media
- Organising and leading events on the day- being able to delegate amongst your team is key.
- Building strong working relationships with other General Managers across the North company.
- Ensuring that our North version of customer service is consistent- we’ve been offering table service since day 1 and won’t be stopping any time soon!
- Stock management and working alongside the Operations team to order products that you think will work well in your site
- Working alongside our onsite food traders to ensure quality products and service
- Responding positively to customer enquiries and building up a database of regular customers
- Promoting the site and events through the inventive use of social media
- Identifying opportunities and areas to improve and develop- both internally and externally
- Completing necessary management administrative tasks- compliance, HR, staff development and feedback
We hire people who are-
- hungry– hardworking and always striving for success in everything they do
- humble– willing to help others and go above and beyond to get the job done
- people smart– able to use their initiative and good judgement to bring out the best in themselves and their colleagues.
We’re looking for an experienced, enthusiastic, and hard-working individual to lead the team at Springwell as the General Manager. You’ll need to be highly experienced in the world of hospitality, have plenty of event experience, extremely well organised, driven, creative, with strong communication and leadership qualities, plus a natural ability to get the best out of a team and sell great drinks!
- Outstanding communication skills
- Previous management skills and experience
- Event management experience
- Highly organised and effective time management
- Strong leadership skills- able to lead and motivate the team
- Happy, sociable with a natural tendency towards being hospitable/attentive
- Strong social media skills- excited to learn new techniques
- A desire to learn and share knowledge
- An understanding of GP, management accounts/P&Ls, stock, etc
- Licensee/personal license holder
- Computer literate- the standard stuff
- Broad spirits and wine knowledge
- Barista skills
- Craft beer knowledge
- Health & Safety knowledge
- Food hygiene certification
- Hold clean UK driving license
- 33 days Annual leave (including 8 bank holidays)
- 1 week Life Leave – this is in addition to your annual leave and covers events that you might usually eat into your allowance for e.g. moving house, family emergencies
- 2 weeks company sick pay
- Access to our Wellbeing Team
- Generous parental leave
- Staff discount on drinks and sustainably sourced merchandise
- Access to the staff Health Cash Plan. This allows staff to claim money towards prescriptions, dental care, contact lenses etc.
- Cycle Scheme and Tech Scheme
- Training and development opportunities
- Compassionate leave separate from your annual leave allocation
- An opportunity to work in a friendly, ambitious team at one of the UK’s leading, and fastest growing, Independent Craft Brewers.
HOW TO APPLY
If you would like to apply for the position of General Manager please send an up to date CV and covering letter to Sophie on HR@northbrewing.com. Your application will not be considered without a covering letter.
We are an inclusive and equal opportunities employer, if you feel under-represented in the hospitality/brewing industry then we encourage you to apply. Please click here to read our Recruitment Policy.
This role has a closing date of Wednesday 31st May 2023. We may be interviewing as we go but won’t make any final decisions until the closing date has passed.
At North we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t fit perfectly with what we’ve outlined we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the perfect fit for this or another role.